The establishment of tax club in all Senior Secondary Schools in Kwara State is an initiative of the Kwara State Internal Revenue Service (KW-IRS). The Service which was established by the Kwara State Revenue Administration Law No 6 of 22 June 2015 was set out to actualize the following mandates:
- To maintain the integrity of the tax laws and processes by eliminating all instances of multiple taxation;
- To assist the State Government to attain specific economic and social policies, systems and targets;
- To stimulate voluntary compliance so as to advance maximum representation of the populace in executive decision making
To accomplish this mandate the KW-IRS recognized the need for a strong advocacy plan and education of the future leaders of tomorrow through the establishment of a Tax Club in the Senior Secondary Schools. The objective of the club is to ensure that:
- Students have clear understanding of the role of tax in the development of an economy
- Create an interactive atmosphere for students to share ideas and contribute positively to the economic development of the country
- Compete positively in Schools debate and quiz
- Build a career in taxation and other related area of study
- Get rewarded for active and excellent performance
To harmonize the activities of the tax club the KW-IRS came up with a draft Handbook to be used in all the Secondary Schools. This Tax Club Handbook is prepared to document the guidelines and procedures of activities of Tax Club in all Senior Secondary Schools in Kwara State to ensure uniformity and conformity to the objective.
- A District coordinator (a senior staff from any of the District Schools) shall be appointed to coordinate the activities of each senatorial district (Kwara South, Kwara North and Kwara Central).
- Each School is to nominate a Coordinator who will work with the District Coordinator and send in reports weekly.
- The District Coordinator will organise competitions within the district and the first three schools will be shortlisted to compete with winners from other senatorial districts.